Bestover The Countercoughsyrups Andlozenges
Cough medicineshave been around for a long time, and many Australian families are familiar with well-known Amcal products.Lozenges,cough syrups, and other medicines include:
- VicksVapoDrops Honey LemonMenthollozenges
- Allens Anticol Extra Strong
Explore online for more effective cough, cold, and flu medicines from highly regarded pharmaceutical companies.
Active Ingredients Types And Cautions To Be Aware Of
Amcal stocks a large range of products, and the choices can become confusing. We are on hand to assist you every step of the way in making the right choices for better health. Here are some available medicine types.
- Analgesics: These include acetaminophen and non-steroidalanti-inflammatorydrugs.
- These are used to alleviate nose andchest congestion. Ingredients can include pseudoephedrine and phenylephrine.
- Expectorants: These loosen or thin the mucus in the chest, such asguaifenesin.
- Antihistamines: These are also for treating allergies with similar symptoms to a cold. Ingredients include chlorpheniramine maleate, diphenhydramine, and doxylamine succinate.Antihistaminescan dry the throat, making it harder to movephlegmand mucus.
- Cough suppressants: These block thecough reflex, making coughing less likely. One example isdextromethorphan.
- Combination medicines: These contain several ingredients, often used to treat more than one symptom simultaneously.
Prolonged use ofcough syrupand othercough medicinescan have negative health impacts. Here are some additional factors that can put a person at risk.
- 45% of patients do not think about their prescription medicines when choosingover-the-countercoughmedicines.
- 58% do not consider existing health conditions
- 65% do not think about the otherOTCdrugs they are presently taking
- 73% of people over 60 do not considerwhether the drug is suitable for their age
- 20% do not see any of the above as important factors
Mucinex Nightshift Sinus 6 Fl Oz Relieves Fever Sore Throat Runny Nose Sneezing
- Both formulas help relieve sinus pressure and sinus congestion, and nasal congestion due to the common cold, hay fever, or upper respiratory allergies.
- 20-count of sudafed pe sinus congestion day + night maximum strength decongestant tablets to temporarily relieve sinus pressure and sinus congestion for both day and night.
- From the #1 pharmacist recommended brand among oral otc decongestants, this maximum-strength formula can be used by adults and children 12 years and older for powerful relief.
- Each multi-pack contains 20 tablets of nasal decongestant, with 12 daytime and 8 nighttime tablets for powerful symptom relief throughout the day and while you sleep.
- Each daytime and nighttime dose contains 10 milligrams of the nasal decongestant phenylephrine hcl and each nighttime dose also contains 25 milligrams of the antihistamine diphenhydramine hcl.
Recommended Reading: Nose Job Before And After Wide Nose
The Bad News/good News About Post
Post-nasal drip is among the most common causes of persistent cough, hoarseness, sore throat and other annoying symptoms. It can be caused by a number of conditions and may linger for weeks or months. Thats the bad news. The good news is that most of the causes can be quickly identified and most will improve with treatment.
Robert H. Shmerling, MD, is associate professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School and Clinical Chief of Rheumatology at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston where he teaches in the Internal Medicine Residency Program. He is also the program director of the Rheumatology Fellowship. He has been a practicing rheumatologist for over 25 years.
Is Tylenol Or Advil Better For Sore Throat
Either acetaminophen or ibuprofen can help with the pain of a sore throat. But Advil or ibuprofen also helps relieve inflammation, so you may score more sore throat relief by taking that. Just make sure you check that no other sore throat medicine you’re taking interacts with either type of pain reliever, or that no other medication you’re taking contains ibuprofen, which is an easy way to get too much of the pain reliever, points out Dr. McKnight.
You May Like: Can You Swim After Ear Piercing
Best Home Remedy For Sore Throat
Numi Ginger Lemon Tea combines soothing heat from the warm water with natural throat soothers.
Pros: Tea is a great way to rehydrate and soothe your throat, cost-effective
Cons: May not be strong enough for severe pain
While Dr. Domingo is a big fan of Chloraseptic spray, she says warm water tea is actually her first recommendation to patients, since it keeps you hydrated and may potentially help open up your airways. “I usually recommend hot water with lemon as well as ginger tea.” She adds that Numi has all of that combined, along with an ingredient panel that gets a thumbs up.
Dr. Keller also likes this easy, natural remedy for a sore throat. Its ingredients of gGinger, lemongrass licorice, and lemon verbena “may help to decrease inflammation and soothe irritation in the lining of the throat,” she explains.
And she likes that it contains antioxidant-packed decaf green tea, pointing to a 2016 Iranian study that found gargling green tea was more effective at lowering sore throat pain for patients who had had a tube down their throat during surgery, compared to water.
When I tried Numi Ginger Lemon Tea, I thought the taste was decent, though I did find the licorice root to be slightly off-putting. Nonetheless, the tea was still quite drinkable. It would be good with a bit more added honey in it . As is, this tea is an especially great option for children with a sore throat, like Dr. Domingo’s pediatric patients.
Post Nasal Drip Treatment
The treatment for your post nasal drip will depend on whats causing it. For example, its easier to resolve postnasal drip caused by spicy foods than it is to kick a sinus infection. Its important to address the underlying condition in order to treat post nasal drip.
In addition to treating the cause, some remedies can help specifically with post nasal drip, Thompson says. Here are a few common remedies:
1. Try nasal irrigation
Nasal irrigation with saline is highly recommended to combat post nasal drip. Saline irrigations help flush out excess and thick mucus, Thompson says. Also, saline irrigations moisturize the nasal cavity and reduce the symptom of post nasal drip.
Using a neti pot, flush one side of your nose, then the other, with distilled or boiled water . Be sure to follow instructions carefully so that you dont increase your risk of infection by flushing your nose.
2. Breathe in steam or a humidifier
Steam or a humidifier can help clear mucus from your nose. Humidifier and steam inhalation can help moisturize the air and thin the mucus so that it passes more freely, Thompson says.
Thats why chicken soup or a cup of tea can also be great remedies the hot liquid and steam help clear your nasal passages.
3. Stay hydrated
Drinking enough water can help thin mucus, preventing the irritating postnasal drip feeling that something is stuck at the back of your throat.
Dont Miss: How To Relieve Pain From A Sinus Infection
You May Like: Throat Herpes Vs Strep Throat
How Do I Know If My Sore Throat Is Caused By Bacteria
You don’t unless a doctor has taken a throat swab and sent it away to the lab for culture. But there are a few clues to look for that can help you decide if your sore throat is more likely to be caused by a virus or a less serious cause such as an allergy or an irritant, or more likely to be caused by bacteria.
Viral sore throats are generally accompanied by cold symptoms, such as a runny nose, watery eyes, or a cough. Symptoms such as sneezing, red eyes, or an itchy roof of the mouth usually accompany sore throats caused by an allergy. Sore throats caused by pollutants generally get better once the cause has been eliminated whether it be smoking or bad air.
Bacterial sore throats tend to come on quickly and are more likely to affect children aged between five and fifteen rather than adults. A type of bacteria called Streptococcus pyrogenes is the most common cause of bacterial sore throats. People living in overcrowded environments such as boarding schools, military camps, or in damp homes are more at risk and the condition is more prevalent between November and April. Strep throat is very contagious and can be passed on from person to person by coughing, sneezing and close contact. Very rarely, the bacteria may be passed on through food. If somebody in your household has a Strep throat, there is a one in four chance you may also get it within two to seven days.
Remedies To Soothe Your Sore Throat Pain
A sore throat is often the first sign that you are coming down with a cold or the flu.
A sore throat is an inflammation at the back of throat and surrounding area, known as the pharynx. That inflammation leads to common sore throat symptoms like scratchiness, pain, swelling, and discomfort.
Acting fast when you notice that first telltale tingle or twinge of pain might help keep your sore throat symptoms to a minimum. If your sore throat has quickly taken on a life of its own, donât worry. There are plenty of over-the-counter medicines for sore throat â some of them already in your kitchen cupboard or medicine cabinet â ready to help ease the pain and scratchiness.
Keep reading for 10 remedies for sore throat ready to ease your pain.
From its warm, amber color to its thick, syrupy consistency, and mild, sweet taste honey is natureâs sore throat remedy. Honey boasts a range of anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, and antioxidant properties.1
As a precaution, children under 1 year of age should not consume honey due to susceptibility to a toxin it may contain.2
Itâs something most of us grew up with and might be the first thing you think of when a sore throat catches hold. Gargling with warm salt water reduces inflammation, promotes healing, and inhibits the growth of bacteria in the mouth. Salt water also helps thin mucus and is a one of the best home remedies for cough and sore throat. Gargle twice a day for sore throat relief.3
You May Like: Why Does My Throat And Ears Itch
When To See A Doctor About Throat Pain
Dr. Allan advises using common sense when deciding whether to seek out medical care.
- Have throat pain thats severe, prolonged or not improving, or stretches into your ear.
- Have trouble swallowing, breathing or opening your mouth.
- Are coughing up blood or have blood in your saliva.
- Feel enlarged lymph nodes, or lumps, in your neck.
- Have white patches on the back of your throat or a rash, possible signs of strep throat or scarlet fever.
- Have a high fever.
- Lose your voice for more than a week or two.
And remember, when it comes to illnesses, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Wash your hands often. And if you do get sick, Dr. Allan recommends immediately replacing your toothbrush with a fresh, germ-free one.
What Is A Natural Remedy For Throat Infections
There are many natural remedies you can try for a sore throat including:
- Drinking hot herbal tea with honey and ginger
- Gargling with salt water
- Staying hydrated and resting
- Using an herbal spray that contains echinacea, sage, and other essential oils
As a reminder, infections that are bacterial will typically require antibiotics, but natural remedies may still decrease the pain associated with the sore throat.
You May Like: What To Eat With Strep Throat
Is The Best Cold Medicine For Sore Throat And Body Aches Right For Your Needs
The question that you have to ask yourself before buying any of the best cold medicine for sore throat and body aches is whether or not they will suit your needs. Besides, you must clearly define what your needs and purposes are. From there, you can choose the best product and serve it according to your requirements.
What Is The Return Policy
Return policy is the most important thing to consider regarding the best cough medicine for cough and sore throat from a manufacturer. If youre unsatisfied or something goes wrong with your purchase, youll want to know that you have some way to go about it. Additionally, weve compiled a list of highly reputable brands based on their return policies and customer service to help people find and choose the best cough medicine for cough and sore throat.
Don’t Miss: Cough And Sore Throat Medicine
Best Cough Drops For A Sore Throat
Cepacol cough drops are small to stash in a pocket and use two oral anesthetics to numb and soothe your throat.
Pros: They melt slowly for a long-lasting numbing effect, affordable
Cons: Pain relief only lasts about two hours, mild interactions with acetaminophen
Many people like a lozenge when they have a cough since the medicine is small enough to fit in your pocket or purse and it can be nice to suck on something soothing over time. If you prefer a cough drop or portability is your goal, Cepacol may make more sense than buying a bottle of Chloraseptic spray.
A 2018 study out of Germany found sucking on cough drops with benzocaine, among other ingredients, for three days significantly helped improve throat pain and made swallowing easier for folks with a sore throat. Meanwhile, an older 2012 study found similar benefits from lozenges with benzocaine alone.
For less than $4, Cepacol drops help to soothe and numb your throat, similar to Chloraseptic. But these cough drops use two oral anesthetics benzocaine and menthol instead of phenol.
There are two formulas: Cepacol Instamax which has the added cool of menthol, and Cepacol Extra Strength. We recommend Extra Strength since not everyone loves menthol. Also, it comes in honey lemon flavor, which means you can also drop the lozenge into hot tea if you want to dilute the medicinal flavor.
Vicks Vapoinhaler Portable Nasal Inhaler 2 Count
- Provides allergy medicine for sneezing, runny nose, itchy nose or throat, and itchy, watery eyes and cold symptoms like sneezing and runny nose.
- Works when you need it most with an allergy medicine in small, convenient antihistamine tablets that put your allergies to rest.
- 100-count pack of benadryl ultratabs antihistamine allergy relief tablets each containing 25 mg of the antihistamine diphenhydramine hcl for allergy relief that works when you need it most.
- Active ingredient, diphenhydramine hcl, provides relief for hay fever or other upper respiratory allergy symptoms and cold symptoms like sneezing and runny nose.
- Allergy medicine tablets for multi-symptom allergy relief intended to be used by adults and children ages six and up for relief of both indoor and outdoor allergies.
Read Also: Ear Nose And Throat Doctor
Colds Theyre By Far The Most Common Cause Of Sore Scratchy Throats In Babies And Toddlers And Can Also Lead To A Runny Nose Or Congestion Coughing And A Fever Caused By A Virus Colds Are Respiratory Illnesses That Cant Be Treated With Antibiotics Unless They Jul 22 2022 For Cleansing The Liver Anti
- Apr 10, 2017 · 2. Licorice root tea. Like slippery elm tea, licorice root tea is a common alternative remedy for sore throats, reports the Mayo Clinic. You can sip a cup or try gargling it. To gargle licorice …
- 1.Sprouts Cold Remedy for Common Cold, Sore Throat, Congestion Get Better in 1 Day. This is a medicine that works best if you have sore throat. It has been described as the best medicine for cough and sore throat. Many people have used Sprouts Cold Remedy for Common Cold, congestion and sore Throat which work extremely well.
- Dr. Paul Grin answered. Pain Management 37 years experience. Seasonal flu: It is very common viral infection. Usually the condition resolves on its own with home care. Drink water and get a good rest. If there is no improveme… Read More. 4.6k views Answered > 2 years ago. Thank.
- Glycerin and phenol Benzocaine, honey, and glycerin Menthol, honey, and glycerin Antihistamines Antihistamines can be used as sorethroat medications and can help stop or even prevent an itchy throat.
Sore Throats In Children
Sore throats are a common childhood ailment. Theyre often caused by viruses and will get better in four or five days. If your child is running a fever of 101°F or higher, pay a visit to the pediatrician. A fever could be a sign of strep throat. Because strep is caused by bacteria, it needs to be treated with an antibiotic.
You can relieve the pain of your childs sore throat with medicine such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen . Just check with your pediatrician first if your child is less than six months old. Dont give aspirin to kids younger than 18, because of the risk of a rare but serious condition called Reyes syndrome.
Here are a few other ways to relieve your childs throat pain:
- Mix 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 8 ounces of warm water, and have your child gargle with it. Kids over the age of 6 are usually old enough to gargle without swallowing.
- Give your child warm liquids, such as chicken broth or tea. Kids over a year old can have a little honey mixed into the tea to soothe their throat.
- Let your child suck on something cold, such as an ice pop.
Avoid using sore throat sprays on children. These products contain the anesthetic benzocaine , which can cause an allergic reaction in some kids.
You dont have to endure a sore throat. Plenty of OTC treatments and home remedies can help you find relief from the pain and discomfort.
If the pain doesnt improve, see your doctor. Also make an appointment if you:
You May Like: Chronic Ear Infections In Adults