When To Contact A Medical Professional
Contact your provider for any of the following:
- A stuffy nose with swelling of the forehead, eyes, side of the nose, or cheek, or that occurs with blurred vision
- More throat pain, or white or yellow spots on the tonsils or other parts of the throat
- Discharge from the nose that has a bad smell, comes from only one side, or is a color other than white or yellow
- Cough that lasts longer than 10 days, or produces yellow-green or gray mucus
- Nasal discharge following a head injury
- Symptoms that last more than 3 weeks
- Nasal discharge with fever
What May Help Clear Up A Runny Nose
There are several things you can try at home to help clear up a runny nose.
- Use a nasal spray or rinse: Saline nasal sprays are available OTC. They can help clear out your nasal passages. You can also make your own saline nasal rinse at home.
- Try an OTC decongestant: If you have nasal congestion along with your runny nose, an OTC decongestant can help reduce inflammation and pressure. Examples include Sudafed and Afrin.
- Take an OTC antihistamine:OTC antihistamines work to relieve allergy symptoms like runny nose, itching, and sneezing. Examples include Benadryl, Claritin, and Zyrtec.
- Use an intranasal corticosteroid: These are medications that you spray into your nose. They may help ease allergy symptoms like itching, sneezing, and runny nose. Some that are available OTC include Nasacort and Flonase.
- Drink water:Drinking enough water can help keep your nasal mucus thin and easier to clear from your nose.
- Use a humidifier: A humidifier can add moisture to the air and may help keep nasal mucus thin.
- Avoid triggers: If you know that specific things trigger your symptoms, try to avoid them.
- Blow your nose frequently: Gently blowing your nose into a tissue can help clear excess mucus from your nasal passages.
While a runny nose will often go away with at-home care, there are some signs that it may be time to make an appointment with your doctor. These include:
Why Does A Runny Nose Happen
When a virus, allergen, or other irritant enters your nasal passages, the lining of your nose and sinuses becomes irritated and inflamed, and your nose produces mucus as a result. The mucus is there to help trap bacteria, viruses, and allergens in order to help flush them away. That mucus is a very important part of your airway system because it keeps your airways moist and helps keep them working.
Even more, the mucus in your nose contains antibodies that can help kill off viruses and bacteria. Though it is just doing its job, it sure is annoying when your body produces too much mucus — this can result in a cough, congestion, and runny nose.
You May Like: Ear Nose And Throat Doctor Denver
Best Cold Medicine For Coughing
Viruses like those which cause the common cold are a leading cause of either wet coughs, as well as dry coughs . A wet cough is the bodys way of clearing mucus from airways and is best treated with an expectorant like guaifenesin. Dry, hacking coughs are important to prevent a sore throat and assist you in getting that much needed rest to maximize your recovery. Cough suppressants will be your go-to class of medications for this type of cough, and a cough syrup like Delsym is the highest pharmacist-recommended brand.
Whats The Best Medicine For Sore Throat Fever Aches And Pains
Lozenges and numbing throat sprays contain active ingredients such as benzocaine , and phenol . They provide pain relief from a sore throat by acting like local anesthetics .
Acetaminophen is a commonly used fever reducer and pain reliever. This medicine is safe for use by most people. It is present in combination products like Vicks Dayquil Cold & Flu Relief and Tylenol Cold + Flu Severe . An overdose of acetaminophen can be harmful to the liver, so its important to take no more than the recommended daily maximum dose .
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs , such as aspirin, ibuprofen , and naproxen , can be used to reduce fever, inflammation, and other symptoms such as headache, sinus pain, and muscle pain. Other cold and flu medicines like Excedrin contain acetaminophen, aspirin , and caffeine, which work together effectively to relieve pain.
Also Check: Best Glasses For Big Nose
Practice Good Hygiene To Stop Germs From Spreading
Treating yourself right so that you can get better is paramount. Making sure that you dont spread your germs to people around you is equally important. Be responsible and do what you can to reduce the spread of germs by practising good hygiene.
Make it a point to wash your hands often and ensure that you soap and lather thoroughly. Clean between your fingers, under your nails, around your wrists and the back of your hand. As a rule of thumb, a thorough hand washing should last for about 20 seconds. If you want to go the extra mile, carry a hand sanitiser with you.
Coughing and sneezing? Instead of covering with your hands, try covering your mouth with the crease of your elbow. Your elbow crease is not something you use as regularly as your hands.
For those of you that are always prepared with tissues on hand, make sure you dispose of them properly. Dont leave your tissues lying around. After blowing or wiping your nose, throw it away immediately. Dont put it back into your pockets.
You might also want to consider putting on a face mask to reduce the spread of germs.
Best Cold Medicine For Headache
Headaches occur frequently with the common cold. Often, headaches happen secondarily to swelling in the nasal passages and accumulation of mucus, and may result in what is referred to as a sinus headache-causing pressure and pain in the forehead, behind the eyes, and worsens with bending over or lying down. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen will provide the best pain relief as they reduce inflammation. Other medications, like expectorants and decongestants, can complement the NSAID to help drain the mucus and decrease the pressure.
You May Like: How Much Are Claires Ear Piercings
Remedies For Colds And Flu
If taking a cold medicine works best for you, there are tablets as well as liquids in various flavors that you can take. Daytime cold relief can help you feel better as you go about your day, while night time relief can help you get the good night’s sleep you need to recover. You could also use a nasal congestion remedy that contains a pain reliever to help reduce your discomfort caused by sinus pressure.
So How Do I Stop A Runny Nose Asap
Again, it depends on whats causing your nose to run in the first place. These treatments can help, but they wont get rid of the underlying cause of your runny nosethat might take some time or a trip to your doctors office. Here are some medications, home remedies, and self-care tips to keep in mind.
If your face turns into a river of snot every time you lay with your furry friend on the couch or enjoy your morning coffee on the deck, youre probably dealing with an allergy. Thankfully, there are a plethora of OTC antihistamines you can try. These medications come in the form of pills or nasal sprays and help tamp down on your bodys allergic response, which can help dry up the snot and ease other bothersome symptoms.
When youre fighting off a respiratory infection, OTC decongestants can shrink the blood vessels inside the nose, which reduces mucus output, per the Mayo Clinic. Nasal steroids can also help to calm inflammation in the nose. The main thing to remember with any medication is to use it exactly as directed . If you use decongestants longer than three to five days or more frequently than recommended, you can get a rebound runny nose, Dr. Van Groningen says. This means that your symptoms may return and even worsen once treatment stops.
Also Check: Strep Throat In Adults Symptoms
Stay Home And Isolate
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says you should stay home, and away from others, for at least five days if you have COVID-19. This applies even if you have mild symptoms or no symptoms at all. Staying home will reduce the chance of spreading the coronavirus to others, including people who may get a worse case because they are older, immunocompromised or unvaccinated.
After five days, you can leave self-isolation if your symptoms are resolving and youve been fever-free, without the use of medicine, for at least 24 hours. As you resume normal activities, continue to wear a mask that fits well for five more days when youre around others. If possible, wear a N95, KN95 or KF94 as those masks are generally more effective at blocking the airborne particles that spread the coronavirus.
If youre wondering why you still need to wear a mask even after you leave isolation, its because you may still be positive for COVID-19. If you have access to at-home COVID-19 antigen tests, you can choose to use testing to determine when you can stop masking.
If you choose to use testing, you should wait until at least Day 6 to take your first test. Then, you can test again every 48 hours. Once you have two negative tests in a row, you can stop masking. If you dont test following your isolation period, you should continue masking until it’s been five full days since you stopped isolating.
What Ingredients Should You Look For
An antihistamine is the best medicine for allergy-related runny noses. Antihistamines block histamines, the culprit behind common allergy symptoms such as watery eyes and runny noses. Diphenhydramine and chlorpheniramine are the two most common antihistamines, but they cause drowsiness. Alternatives like cetirizine provide more targeted treatment for longer time periods without the drowsy side effects.
Don’t Miss: Can Dental Issues Cause Sore Throat
Sip Some Hot Herbal Tea
What Are The Common Otc Medications
Cough and cold medications
- It can be stressful when a cough keeps your child awake at night. But coughing can be helpful. It can be a sign that the body is getting rid of mucus that irritates the airway. Syrups that stop this normal response of the body can be harmful to children.
- Many OTC cough-and-cold products contain drugs that claim to ease coughing. Usually, they include dextromethorphan and/or diphenhydramine that reduce the cough reflex.
- Some OTC drugs contain codeine. Codeine should not be used in children under the age of 12 for any reason.
- Always check the label first to make sure the medication is suitable for your child. Talk to your health care provider if you have any questions about using cough and cold medicines in children. These professionals can also help make sure these medications wont interfere with other health products your child may be taking.
- Oral decongestants are drugs from the same family as adrenaline. They are given to reduce swelling and stuffiness in the nose due to colds.
- Antihistamines are usually used to dry up a runny nose or reduce sneezing caused by allergies.
- They can also ease itching from things like hives, chickenpox or insect bites.
- Antihistamines wont help someone with a cold. They can actually cause side effects, such as drowsiness, if used for the treatment of a cold.
Nasal drops or sprays
Pain and fever relievers
Natural health products
Don’t Miss: What’s Good For Strep Throat
What Is A Runny Nose How Is It Different From Nasal Congestion
A runny nose is the secretion of mucus or a thin, watery discharge out of the nose that can also drip down into the throat. It is most often caused by the cold virus, flu virus, cold temperatures, or allergies. Runny noses are signs that your immune system is working. However, the symptoms can be uncomfortable. Over-the-counter cold and flu medicines can provide relief.
Nasal congestion refers to the swelling of nasal passages, which prevents smooth airflow, making it harder to breathe through the nose. It occurs due to inflamed blood vessels in the nasal membranes . Nasal congestion can make it harder to expel mucus out of the nose. This can result in clogging of the nasal passages with thick mucus, making you feel stuffed up. For this reason, its also called a stuffy nose. Over-the-counter nasal decongestants can help to relieve these common symptoms.
Does Blowing Your Nose Assist A Cold
Clearing the mucus by blowing the nose should cut back this congestion rather. At the start of colds and for as a rule with hay fever, there is quite a lot of runny mucus. Blowing the nose regularly prevents mucus increase and operating down from the nostrils towards the upper lip, the all-too-familiar runny nose.
Read Also: Soar Throat And Runny Nose
What To Take For Runny Nose Explained By Faq Blog
This is a question our mavens keep getting from time to time. Now, we have now got the complete detailed clarification and answer for everybody, who is interested!
Asked by: Stephany Becker
Typically, the most efficient treatment for a runny nose contains:
- Drink various fluids, particularly water.
- Use a saline nasal spray to lend a hand relieve symptoms. …
- A groovy-mist humidifier at your bedside can combat congestion worsened by dry wintry weather air.
Best Cold Medicine For Fever
Antipyretics refer to a class of medications that reduce fever. Examples of antipyretics include acetaminophen and ibuprofen , which are available over-the-counter. You should always read the label carefully for proper dosage, and if youre taking other combination cold medication products make sure you are not exceeding the maximum daily dose of either acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
Also Check: How Does Nose Spray Work
How To Take These Medications
Most of these medications come in pill, syrup, and liquid spray form. Whats universal about each form is that the manufacturers include detailed instructions on the packaging. There are also nasal strips available for people dealing with runny noses. These strips, made of flexible material, open the nasal passages reducing nasal inflammation. Strips also come with instructions to encourage proper usage. Always follow the directions on the medication packaging to understand how and when to take a dosage.
Menthol Rubs Or Menthol Lozenges
Time to whip out the good old Axe Oil your grandfather keeps in his back pocket!
While your neighbourhood coffee shop uncles favour Axe Oil, there are other brands of menthol rubs. You can find Vicks, Tiger Balm, Olbas Mentholatum and many more at your local convenience store or pharmacy. If your skin is sensitive to oils and rubs, you can opt to suck on a lozenge instead.
However, you should be aware that menthol doesnt do much to ease nasal congestion. What they do is trigger menthol receptors in your nose that makes you feel like youre breathing better.
Menthol rubs and lozenges can also help with other cold symptoms like cough and sore throat that comes hand-in-hand with runny noses.
When using menthol rubs, avoid rubbing it directly in or on your nose. The skin around your nose is sensitive, and these rubs might cause skin irritation. Instead, apply a small amount below your nose or on your upper lip.
Heres a quick breakdown on the effectiveness and risks that come with the 5 home remedies for a runny nose.
|Type of remedy|
|Might face difficulty in picking out a suitable brand.||Not effective in runny nose relief, but it helps you feel better.||Potential allergy to chemicals or skin irritation.|
Don’t Miss: How To Get Your Nose To Stop Running
What Else Could It Be
A runny nose can occur for many reasons. For example, a person may have a runny nose after breathing cold air or after eating spicy food.
Having a runny nose by itself is generally not a cause for concern. However, a person with a runny nose may want to book a COVID-19 test if they:
- live in an area with high COVID-19 cases
- have recently traveled
- have been in contact with someone who has COVID-19
- are concerned that they have contracted the delta variant of SARS-CoV-2
A runny nose can also occur due to certain other conditions, such as the following.
Best Cold Medicine For Runny Nose
Antihistamines are the best medications for a runny nose, since they tend to have drying properties. First-generation antihistamines, such as diphenhydramine, come with usually unwanted side effects like drowsiness. Diphenhydramine should also be used with caution in elderly patients since it can result in confusion and may increase the risk of events like falls. Later-generation antihistamines, including chlorpheniramine, are also very effective in drying up those runny noses but may not cause as many of those unwanted side effects.
Also Check: How To Get Rid Of Redness Under Nose